Service Provider: Bizco Business Consulting
Course Duration: 1 Day | Cost: R1100.00 p/person
This three-day workshop will teach you how to:
- The latest trends in the human resource field and the changing role of the human resource professional
- How to write job specifications and identify core competencies
- Methods of finding, selecting, and keeping the best people using behavioral description interviewing techniques
- How to get employees off to a good start
- How to deal with compensation and benefits
- How to maintain healthy employee relations
- How to make performance appraisals a cooperative process
Instructor Led classroom based training. Scheduled classes are normally held in Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa. Stationary and textbook included. Refreshments, including 2 tea breaks and a cooked meal for lunch are provided for full time courses. Light finger meals are supplied for part time courses.
HR Managers, HR personnel, Company Owners and managers
You will spend the first part of the day getting to know the facilitator and discussing what will take place during the workshop. Students will also have an opportunity to identify their personal learning objectives.
- Defining Human Resources: To begin the workshop, we will discuss just what “human resources” means. We will also complete a case study that highlights some of the challenges that an HR professional faces.
- Skills Inventory: During this session, we will look at what a skills inventory is and what its benefits are.
- Forecasting: Human resource forecasts are attempts to predict an organization’s future demand for employees. We will look at two main types of forecasting: indexing and extrapolation.
- Job Analysis: A job analysis will ensure that the job description accurately reflects the tasks that the job entails. We will discuss what a job analysis is and what formats can be used. Participants will have the opportunity to complete a basic job analysis.
- Job Competencies: This session will discuss how to identify technical and performance skills needed to do a job.
- Position Profiles and Job Descriptions: During this session, we will explore what a job description is through a lecture and an exercise.
- Do You Really Need to Hire? If you need to fill a position, there may be other ways of filling it rather than hiring externally. This session will examine some of those possibilities. Participants will also complete an exercise to demonstrate how much hiring a new employee really costs.
- Finding Candidates: We will look at eight ways to recruit candidates during this session.
- Advertising Guidelines: During this session, we will look at some things to consider when writing a job ad.
- Screening Resumes: A resume screening guide can be a valuable tool when hiring. This session will discuss how to develop and use such a guide.
- Preparing for the Interview: Preparation is key to a successful interview. We will look at a preparation check-list and then participants will role play an interview.
- Conducting the Interview: This session will look at some key interviewing ideas, including the history of interviewing, criteria for objective interviews, behavioural interviewing techniques, and critical incidents.
- After the Interview: During this session, we will look at what participants should do after the interview. Special attention will be paid to methods of rating candidates.
- Employee Orientation: A good orientation is key to an employee’s success. Participants will rate their company’s organization. We will also discuss common problems and some possible solutions.
- Planning Training: At some point in the life of almost every human resource professional, they will need to develop a training program. During this session, we will look at the training cycle. Participants will also explore the advantages and disadvantages of internal and external training.
- Working with External Providers: During this session we will look at some criteria you should use when choosing an external person to provide services to your company.
- Performance Reviews: Performance reviews are a crucial part of helping an employee grow. During this session, we will explore the performance review process through individual exercises, a case study, and two lectures.
- Absenteeism: Absenteeism costs companies more money every year. Through a lecture and a case study, we will look at common causes and solutions.
- Diversity: This session will look at common diversity issues through group work and a lecture.
- Privacy Issues: The privacy of personal information is becoming a bigger and bigger concern with the advent of technology. During this session, we will discuss the 10 principles of personal information protection.
- Compensation and Benefits: During this session, we will discuss the role of compensation and benefits in retaining employees. We will also review the pre-assignment.
- Discipline: This session will look at a four step disciplinary system that can be applied to any situation.
- Termination: Firing an employee is hard to do. Through discussion and a case study, we will look at some things to consider and some ways to make the process a bit easier.
- Exit Interviews: Exit interviews can be a great tool to help your company grow. We will discuss types of exit interviews and we will look at a sample.
- Workshop Wrap-Up: At the end of the day, you will have an opportunity to ask questions and fill out an action plan.